Michael and list

   See few inserts below

On Feb 14, 2014, at 1:14 PM, Michael Hayes <voglerl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Oscar, Ron et. al.,
>
> Oscar; Thanks for bringing the paper to the table. Biodiesel does not contain
> sulfur and it would be convenient, on a number of levels, if the shipping
> industry would convert to marine based biodiesel ASAP.
      [RWL:  Agreed.  My guess is that Dr. Smolker would say otherwise - given
the term "bio" is there.  Better to have increased acidification?

> Ken/Ron, (Ref:
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/geoengineering/nncNYX7jS2U/kbQ7cT1cK4sJ);
> Does the term: "through environmental mechanisms other than an intended
> reduction of excess anthropogenic aerosol or greenhouse gas concentrations."
> mean that projects which are primarily CDR and CCS efforts are
> non-geoengineering projects?
     [RWL:   Ken will hopefully respond, but I think he would say "Yes" (that
he would prefer that definition).  I am less certain, as I see the term
"geoengineering" as likely to continue having both SRM and CDR portions - and I
am happy to see both.  I fear that if they were separated, there would be less
emphasis on the CDR half of geoengineering.  I expect Dr. Smolker would partly
agree with me - that CDR is indubitably part of Geoengineering - and (differing
with me) should not be tolerated.

> How would carbon negative biofuels be classified under Ken's definition?
    [RWL:  Again deferring to Ken,  I think the whole world of "Geoengineering"
is (unfortunately) paying insufficient attention to the carbon-neutral energy
production aspects of some CDR options.  Emphasis is only on carbon-negativity
in the geoengineering world.  This aspect probably makes biochar doubly
horrible in Dr. Smolker's mind.

> Also, relativistic terms and words, such as "de minimis" or "scope" seem to
> require further clarification. Size/Scope or Minimum/Maximum quantifiers can
> be highly subjective without pre-determined qualifying limits. Clarity on
> these points would be useful.
    [RWL:  I'll defer on all topics save biochar, which approach seems to me to
qualify as de minimis.  I believe Dr. Caldeira has agreed. Obviously,  Dr.
Smolker would disagree, but I don't think she has yet explained why - other
than giving us a strong negative opinion.

> Dr. Calvin, (Ref:
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/geoengineering/fm_mh_lUtlU/qnfRjye1JP0J);
> Your push/pull concept, and the need for a project to meet the "Big, Quick,
> and Surefire Test", can accomidate biochar/carbon negitive biofuel
> production. The processing of the biomass can keep up with any biomass
> production method as long as the cultivation is within bioreactors. Open
> water algae blooms have largely been rejected as being un-acceptable, thus
> the use of photobioreactors are the only option for large scale microalgal
> biomass production.
        [RWL:   Can you expand on the "un-acceptable" and "only"?  Why?
> The potential "out-year effect" (long term CO2 sequestration activity of
> biochar/olivine/organic fertilizer etc) of algal biomass based soil
> amendments multiplies the CDR/CCS effects of straight algal/sequestration
> (push/pull) by at least one factor. In short, the carbon negative biofuel
> regiment maximizes the market/environmental potential of the biomass, can pay
> for itself and needs no further basic research level developments. It can be
> "plug-n-play".
>       [RWL:  I hope we can convince Dr. Calvin of this difference with
> placing the produced ocean biomass on shore.  Re guessing on Dr. Smolker's
> opinion - I have seen nothing from BFW on ocean biomass, but I suspect ocean
> sourcing would make no difference.

Ron