I kind of object to the idea that the SPM process constitutes "tampering by
politicians". First: it's the process, an intergovernmental process, that
gives the IPCC heft. It was baked into the design by Bert Bolin in order to
create a document that would fulfill politcal functions. If you don't want
a consensus document with heft that's fine. But if you do want one, you
have to explain how that could be achieved without having governments in
the process. Second: it sort of assumes that only the politicians bring the
politics. there's politics throughout the process of various sorts. The
politicians' are more overt. But they also remove politics (cf the removal
of preliminary matter in WGIII about ethics)

best, o