On the other hand, Robert Stavins has published his call
<http://www.robertstavinsblog.org/2014/04/25/is-the-ipcc-government-approval-process-broken-2/>to

the three Co-chairs of the AR5 WGIII ( cc'd to Pachauri) that the IPCC
should tell all people interested in this latest IPCC effort that they need
to read the entire 2,000 page plus document rather than the 33 page
summary.  It matters, when governments are involved, writes Stavins, if the
document in question was subject to government *comment*, or whether it was
subject to government* approval*.  He suggests the Summary *For* Policy
Makers  should be called the Summary *By* Policymakers from now on.

He blogs that "the process the IPCC followed resulted in a process that
built political credibility by sacrificing scientific integrity."  In the
part of the SPM he was a Co-coordinating Lead Author on, "*all*"
controversial text, i.e. 75% of what they started with was removed.  The
objections of one country were enough to force removal of whatever they
were objecting to.  It didn't matter whether the country was rich or poor:
"any text that was considered inconsistent with their interests and
positions in multilateral negotiations was treated as unacceptable."

He is publicly questioning whether the IPCC should continue to ask people
such as himself to "put enormous amounts of their time over multi-year
periods to carry out work that will inevitably be rejected"

If  Bolin were still around, I wonder what he would say in response to an
argument such as Stavins puts forward.