Thanks for bringing this up Andrew... Greg, to follow up on your points made: I
presented some preliminary results at the Climate Engineering Conference in
Berlin last August. Basically, everything you´ve mentioned we´ve done at NIOZ
in the past two years, including proper lab tests with filtered seawater, and
different mixtures of artificial seawater, and controls (of course), where we
measured DIC, alkalinity, pH, dissolved silicate and dissolved metals. Also,
we´ve fed olivine to common bioturbating coastal macrofauna (lugworms) to see
what their potentially enhancing effect might be on olivine dissolution in
coastal settings and as we speak/write, students are applying small layers of
forsteritic olivine sand in mesocosm setups (1 m2 basins) with natural coastal
sediment and running seawater. Results of the shaking experiments and lugworm
experiments are nice, and more importantly, consistent and I expect to come out
with the first shaking bottle lab experiments in a manuscript in november or
december. Depending on the results of the current experiment, the rest wil then
follow.

Yes, Papakolea Beach on South Point, Big Island Hawaií is one very nice place
where an olivine/basalt mix of grains forms a green beach in a relatively
closed embayment. Depending on the wind, the bay is very well accessible, and
would serve perfectly as a natural analogue, or at least tell us something on
the accumulation of dissolution products on the marine ecosystem.

Cheers,
Francesc

PS I´m away on holiday at the moment, and will only check email irregularly

-----
vriendelijke groeten / kind regards,

Dr. Francesc Montserrat
Netherlands Institute for Sea Research