What happens if full scale demonstrations of CCS simply confirm what we know so
far - that CCS is too expensive in most applications (except for extracting
more oil/CO2 out of the ground)? Yes, we need to evaluate "a full suite" of
other point source mitigation options. That is not happening because CCS is
viewed as the only game in town in terms of R&D funding and in terms of policy
formation. We are placing the planet at great risk and strangling technology
development if those controlling R&D investment and policy continue to think
that CCS is our only and best hope for mitigating the >300 GT of CO2* we are
now committed to. And while we are at it how about investing in CDR R&D, just
in case none of the above save the day? Imagine what $2B could do if diverted
from one CCS demonstration (of the obvious) project to explore potentially
cheaper, better, faster technologies.

*http://iopscience.iop.org/1748-9326/9/9/094008/pdf/1748-9326_9_9_094008.pdf

Greg

>________________________________

 of a full suite of methods to achieve deep reductions.  When real market
drivers for such reductions are adopted we should see cost-reducing innovations
stimulated for CCS and a range of competing technologies.  It's way to soon to
write-off any of the candidates as "too costly."

>Typed on tiny keyboard. Caveat lector.
>

>On Oct 4, 2014, at 1:42 PM, Andrew Lockley
><andrew.lock...@gmail.com<mailto:andrew.lock...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>Poster's note: potentially of interest to air capture types. Cynics may claim
>that this is simply an expensive piece of subsidized greenwash for the fossil
>fuels industry - and one that's being used partially to extract even more
>fossil fuels via EOR.
>
>http://www.nbcnews.com/science/environment/clean-coal-carbon-capture-debuts-north-america-not-u-s-n218221
>
>'Clean Coal' With Carbon Capture Debuts in North America (Not in U.S.)
>
>BY JOHN ROACH
>
>A first-of-its-kind coal-fired power plant retrofitted with technology
 to capture and store most of the carbon dioxide produced at one of its boilers
officially began operations this week in Saskatchewan, Canada. Meanwhile, a
similar project in Illinois to demonstrate a cleaner way to burn the world's
most abundant fossil fuel remains in legal and financial limbo.Whether the U.S.
government-backed project in Meredosia, Ill., will advance so-called carbon
capture and storage, or CCS, technology is an open question, but experts deem
the technology itself vital if the world hopes to stand any practical chance at
staving off catastrophic climate change.advertisement

>And CCS is being propelled forward by pollution-control measures such as the
>Obama admnistration's proposed rules to limit carbon emissions from new and
>existing power plants.
>
>"The reason that you want to look at CCS is the
 math," John Thompson, the director of the Fossil Transition Project at the
Clean Air Task Force, a nonprofit that advocates for low-carbon energy
technologies, explained to NBC News.

>About two-thirds of the roughly 30 gigatons of carbon dioxide released by
>human activity each year comes from the power sector and industrial activities
>such as oil refining and fertilizer production. These activities are all
>"amenable to carbon capture and storage," Thompson said. "In fact, you can
>capture 90 percent of the CO2 from any one of those particular sources."
>
>'Great bumper sticker'
>
>While increased use of nuclear, solar and wind power could replace some coal,
>gas and oil-fired power plants, they are not an option for most industrial
>sources of carbon dioxide,
 he added. "Eliminating fossil fuels is a great bumper sticker," he said. "It
is an ineffective climate solution."

>To boot, global greenhouse gas "emissions are higher than they have ever been
>and we are building more coal plants every year,"
>
>Steven Davis, an earth systems scientist at the University of California,
>Irvine, told NBC News.In fact, current emission and construction trends
>suggest that the international goal to limit warming to 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit
>is "completely implausible," he said during a presentation of his research at
>a recentclimate conference in Seattle. Getting anywhere close to the goal, he
>added in a follow-up interview, will almost certainly require massive
>deployment of solar and nuclear power along with CCS."But there is a big cost
>associated with CCS," he noted. "It is like 40 or 50
 percent more expensive to get energy from a fossil plant if it has CCS."

>How CCS works
>
>Carbon capture and storage is a basket of technologies used to prevent carbon
>dioxide from escaping to the atmosphere in the course of power generation and
>other industrial activities. The captured gas is typically injected deep
>underground where, in theory, it will stay forever. In some cases, this
>injected gas is used to force out remnant oil from underground deposits, a
>process known as enhanced oil recovery."
>
>It is a natural next step especially for the fossil fuel industry which sees
>value in CCS because it means we can continue to keep burning their products,"
>Davis said.
>
>The Boundary Dam
 Power Station, owned by SaskPower, is near Estevan, Saskatchewan. The world's
first commercial-scale carbon capture and storage project officially opened
there this week.

>The carbon capture approach used at SaskPower's newly retrofitted Boundary Dam
>Power Plant in Saskatchewan removes the carbon dioxide with a chemical
>solution after the coal is burned to generate electricity. The captured gas
>will be used for enhanced oil recovery; some will be stored 2.1 miles deep in
>the Earth in a layer of brine-filled sandstone.
>
>A second method called coal gasification employs heat and pressure to convert
>coal into gas before it is burned, easing the removal of carbon dioxide. A
>Southern Company power plant under construction in Kemper County, Miss., due
>to come online in 2015 uses this approach. The captured carbon dioxide will
 be shipped via pipeline to nearby oil fields.The project in Meredosia, Ill.,
is backed by a $1 billion federal stimulus grant and aims to demonstrate a
technology known as oxy-combustion, where the coal is burned in oxygen and
carbon dioxide instead of air to produce a concentrated stream of carbon
dioxide for transportation and storage in saline rock deep underground.

>FutureGen delays
>
>That Illinois project, known as FutureGen 2.0, will retrofit and restart a
>boiler at a retired coal-fired power plant. It is the second iteration of a
>demonstration project originally conceived under the George W. Bush
>administration in 2003. The original project was scrapped due to cost
>overruns.The scaled-back version also faces financial hurdles, including
>efforts to secure $650 million in private sector financing that have been
 hindered by a legal challenge from the Sierra Club, which opposes coal plant
construction, according to MIT Technology Review.advertisement

>NBCNEWS.COM<http://NBCNEWS.COM>  "The lawsuit is really about the integrity of
>the permitting process," Eva Schueller, an attorney for the Sierra Club, told
>NBC News. The current permit, she explained, will allow the project backers to
>operate the refurbished plant as a traditional coal plant without limits on
>the amount of carbon it can release into the atmosphere.
>
>The environmental group and the project backers are working together "to
>resolve issues related to the air permit," Lawrence Pacheco, a spokesman for
>the FutureGen Alliance, told NBC News in an email. Meanwhile, he added, the
 U.S. Environmental Protection Agency recently issued the project an
underground storage permit for carbon dioxide and limited construction has
begun at the plant.