Greg,
Your points about underfunding of alternatives to CCS are valid but it does not
follow that the remedy, either from a systems perspective or a policy
perspective, is to reduce CCS funding.  That might result in less funding for
CCS and no increase in funding for alternatives.

Many advocates for various methods of cutting CO2 emissions and/or drawdown of
atmospheric concentrations suffer from a zero-sum syndrome, believing the only
viable path for more funding for their favored idea is to argue that some other
currently funded approach is receiving too much money.  Given where we are on
(not) managing human GHG emissions, it is hard to support a claim that CCS or
any other approach is receiving too much money.  The money may not be being
spent optimally on each option but fixing that requires a more surgical
approach than just saying don't spend so much.

The amount of public funding for different mitigation/compensation approaches
is a political matter and requires a political strategy.  Part of such a
strategy is developing and publicizing analyses showing the potential payoff
for investing in each approach.  Another, probably more important part of the
strategy, is building a substantial constituency for a portfolio of approaches.

For the latter, we need to map the potential constituencies and determine the
valid messages that are most likely to engage and activate them.  (I feel the
need to add "valid" since so many conversations about messaging do not seem to
be concerned with whether a message has validity.)

I, like many active environmental advocates, assign a high priority to
mitigation, with efficiency, renewable energy, and forest protection ranked at
the top of the mitigation hierarchy.  But I (and a number of advocates I know)
do not argue for this trio of actions to the exclusion of other complementary
approaches.  In my opinion, all potential mitigation approaches should be
provided enough private and public funding to assess whether they should be
kept in a portfolio.  So too with CDR concepts, with due attention paid to
ecosystem impacts of such approaches.  And even SRM, which I find least
appealing, should in my view receive sufficient research dollars  to better
understand and assess the implications of real-world deployment, should our
failures in other areas cause humanity to want to turn to SRM as a complement
to mitigation.

But to succeed in getting more funding for all these potentially meritorious
approaches we need a much bigger constituency than just the members of this
listserv and a handful of similar ones.

We need to make the case for a portfolio in terms that will appeal first, to
committed environmental advocates; second, to industrial players that
understand we cannot escape bad results by simply denying the seriousness of
climate disruption; third, to business interests who see a market opportunity
in helping to implement a climate protection portfolio; fourth, to citizens who
believe that governments have an important role to play in helping complex
industrial societies pursue human development paths that minimize adverse side
effects; fifth, to religious communities that recognize human responsibility to
care for our planet as part of their faith.  I'm sure others can add to this
list.

What will not succeed, I am quite sure, is the discourse that happens often on
this list, where approaches not favored by a poster are dismissed as a waste
and the opinions of groups who have not been persuaded to recognize the value
of a broad portfolio approach to climate protection are derided as no-nothings.

Greg, please understand I am not aiming these remarks at you.  Your post simply
stimulated me to pose this topic for a broader discussion on the list.

David

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 5, 2014, at 12:57 PM, "Greg Rau"