I wonder what "we" know.

American Electric Power CEO Mike Morris said his company could prove that
CCS fitted to a full scale coal fired plant will be "clearly cheaper than
new nuclear, clearly cheaper than sun and wind".  He was speaking to Public
Radio International's Living on Earth radio show on July 22 2011.  Audio
and transcript here
<http://www.loe.org/shows/segments.html?programID=11-P13-00029&segmentID=1>.

He mentioned shale gas combined cycle units as the only ones that could
produce power more cheaply.  But those plants would emit more CO2.  His
interviewer mentioned that AEPs "operators have demonstrated" their
Mountaineer pilot plant "can remove 90 percent of the plant's CO2
emissions".  Morris was confident and ready to build at full scale. *
Except for one thing*.  *His regulator would not allow him to recover one
dime of the cost *of removing CO2 from the exhaust because there is no
requirement to produce low CO2 power mandated by government. "We were
strong proponents of Waxman-Markey in the House, but we just couldn't get
it over the finish line".

"Society - American society - needs to decide that's the way they want to
go".

He summed up the cost factor this way:  "there is the impact of running
this machine, which we were always targeting at 10 to 15 percent, what's
called a parasitic impact, meaning you lose about 10 or 15 percent of the
kilowatt hours you could put on the system by running the machines that
capture and store the carbon.  If that power plant makes energy at five
cents, it might make it at seven cents with this technology".  His plan was
for his company to also profit selling the technology to other companies:
"the whole concept of being able to duplicate this technology and install
it elsewhere is part of what we're doing.  Once its demonstrated, others
will come flying to the technology and that's my point.  It is not
inexpensive.  *But it is doable*".

What Morris says American Electric Power has done is right in line with
what the IPCC Special Report on Carbon Capture and Storage
<http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/special-reports/srccs/srccs_wholereport.pdf>explained
was possible back in 2005.