Subject: Re: [geo] Impacts of ocean albedo alteration on Arctic sea ice
restoration and Northern Hemisphere climate - ERL
From: John Nissen <johnnissen2...@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, May 02, 2015 10:56 am
To: Peter Flynn <pcfl...@ualberta.ca>
Cc: Ken Caldeira <kcalde...@gmail.com>, Andrew Lockley
<andrew.lock...@gmail.com>, "Cvijanovic, Ivana" <cvijanov...@llnl.gov>,
geoengineering <geoengineering@googlegroups.com>, Doug MacMartin
<macma...@cds.caltech.edu>, Sev Clarke <sevcla...@me.com>, Bru Pearce
<b...@portgeorge.com>

Hi Peter,

As the paper points out, projections for sea ice suggest that the Arctic Ocean will be seasonably free before mid-century [1], and this will pose challenges in the Arctic; but there are potential impacts on the whole planet from the Arctic being locked into rapid warming:
1. sea level will rise ever faster;
2. methane bubbling up from the ocean bed in ever increasing quantities could add disastrously to global warming;
3.  the jet stream could be further disrupted, causing extreme climate change in the Northern Hemisphere [2].

Thus saving the sea ice takes on a high priority for urgent action.  To minimise risk of extreme impacts, we need to restore sea ice by employing both cooling techniques (such as tropospheric cloud brightening, stratospheric aerosol cooling and ocean brightening) and ice thickening techniques.

Furthermore we need to deal with growing impacts of Arctic warming in the pipeline: preparing for sea level rise; suppressing and/or capturing methane; and adapting to more extreme climate change than already seen this century as the jet stream meanders more and gets stuck for longer periods.

It may be possible to combine some of these techniques.  For example, sea ice could be thickened such as to capture methane bubbling up underneath it.  We need urgent study on this kind of intervention, and I would be grateful if the geoengineering googlegroup forum could be used for an open discussion on the possibilities.

Cheers, John

[1] Many reputable scientists now say that the Arctic Ocean could be seasonally ice free by 2030; and a few top sea ice experts point to the observed volume trend which suggests September ice free by 2020.

[2] See Scientific American, May 2015 issue, on Arctic waves, with reference to extreme climate change in the past.