https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/9/12/124002

Maximum warming occurs about one decade after a carbon dioxide emission
Katharine L Ricke and Ken Caldeira

Published 2 December 2014 • © 2014 IOP Publishing Ltd
Environmental Research Letters, Volume 9, Number 12
DownloadArticle PDF
47855 Total downloads
927 Video abstract views

4848 total citations on Dimensions.Article has an altmetric score of 461
Turn on MathJax
Share this article

Share this content via email
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Share on Mendeley
A perspective for this article has been published in 2015 Environ. Res.
Lett. 10 031001

Article information
Abstract
Play Video
 Download video
It is known that carbon dioxide emissions cause the Earth to warm, but no
previous study has focused on examining how long it takes to reach maximum
warming following a particular CO2 emission. Using conjoined results of
carbon-cycle and physical-climate model intercomparison projects (Taylor et
al 2012, Joos et al 2013), we find the median time between an emission and
maximum warming is 10.1 years, with a 90% probability range of 6.6–30.7
years. We evaluate uncertainties in timing and amount of warming,
partitioning them into three contributing factors: carbon cycle, climate
sensitivity and ocean thermal inertia. If uncertainty in any one factor is
reduced to zero without reducing uncertainty in the other factors, the
majority of overall uncertainty remains. Thus, narrowing uncertainty in
century-scale warming depends on narrowing uncertainty in all contributing
factors. Our results indicate that benefit from avoided climate damage from
avoided CO2 emissions will be manifested within the lifetimes of people who
acted to avoid that emission. While such avoidance could be expected to
benefit future generations, there is potential for emissions avoidance to
provide substantial benefit to current generations.