Hi! My 2c on this proposal.
I have been struggling trying to make use of Geoserver as a metadata
repository and source for published geodata. With no success. Even a
vanilla installation, using unaltered sample configuration files, fails to
generate any output that Geonetwork harvester will accept.
The geoserver subsystem for metadata involves 4 extensions, two of which
are community and two are supported extensions. Promoting the two community
modules is a good start. Maybe this will ensure that these four modules
will work together as expected.
But I would like to propose an even bolder approach. To me, CSW, Metadata
and ISO-INSPIRE are parts of a whole and would perhaps be easier to
install, configure and maintain if combined into a single extension? If I
may be so bold? And even further, made part of Geoserver core.
Metadata is the most important single factor for the availability and
useability of geodata, and Geoserver is an important player in this field.
Given that PostGIS lacks a built-in metadata function, Geoserver could fill
that void, even if only for published data.
Some have suggested that the lack of interest in the csw-metadata parts of
Geoserver is due to the fact that very few use it. But is that because it
is not needed, or because it is too hard to set up and configure?
Best regards, Mats.E

Den fre 8 apr. 2022 kl 14:28 skrev Niels Charlier via Geoserver-devel <
geoserver-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>:

> Hi Simone,
>
> Thanks for your vote. Yes I am available for all questions regarding the
> modules and general maintenance as required or requested by the PSC .
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Niels
> On 06/04/2022 15:49, Simone Giannecchini wrote:
>
> Hi Niels,
> I'd say +1 as we use at least CSW quite a lot ourselves.
>
> I am assuming you are also stepping up to supporting people's questions on
> the ML and keeping the modules following the general GeoServer development.
>
> Regards,
> Simone Giannecchini
> ==
> Professional Support for GeoNode, GeoServer and MapStore from the experts!
> Visit http://bit.ly/gs-services for more information.
> ==
> Ing. Simone Giannecchini
> @simogeo
> Founder/Director GeoSolutions Italy
> President GeoSolutions USA
>
> phone: +39 0584 962313
> fax:     +39 0584 1660272
> mob:   +39  333 8128928
> US: +1 (845) 547-7905
>
> http://www.geosolutionsgroup.com
> http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

> This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
> addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
> otherwise protected from disclosure. We remind that - as provided by
> European Regulation 2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this
> e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended
> recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email by mistake, please
> notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail.
>

> On Tue, Apr 5, 2022 at 5:43 AM Jody Garnett <jody.garn...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hey Niels!
>>
>> Not quite sure I understand the CLA question; if you did the work on
>> behalf of a particular government department and had their
>> permission/authority to donate to OSGeo then you should be good. If you are
>> really interested in being careful you could ask the manager (whoever paid
>> you or authorized the work) to sign a "Corporate contributor license
>> <https://www.osgeo.org/wp-content/uploads/corporate_contributor.pdf>",
>> and name the body of the work (metadata and csw-iso) as the contributed
>> work in "Schedule B" at the bottom of the document.
>>
>> Although it says "corporate" it is really:
>>
>> ​"You" (or "Your") shall mean the copyright owner or legal entity
>>> authorized by the copyright owner that is making this Agreement with the
>>> Foundation. "You" (or "Your") shall mean the copyright owner or legal
>>> entity authorized by the copyright owner that is making this Agreement with
>>> the Foundation.
>>>

>> So a government should be able to sign it.
>> --
>> Jody Garnett
>>

>> On Apr 4, 2022 at 4:49:08 AM, Niels Charlier via Geoserver-devel <
> [...]

*GisKraft*, Geodatakonsult

Mats Elfström, Marsvinsholms stationsväg 80, 271 93 Ystad, Sweden
tel: +46 70 595 39 35 / www.giskraft.se