Hi Niels! Aim high, hit low.
There seems to be no disagreement on your original proposal, and I also
believe that the bug here lies in the documentation. And trust me, I'd be
happy to contribute a working setup if I could manage to put one together.
My goal is to publish geodata on Geoserver and add a little more metadata
to the CSW than the simple WMS provides when harvested to Geonetwork. And I
think CSW-ISO would do the trick. But this line in the mapping file stops
the harvester:

$dateStamp.Date= if_then_else ( isNull("metadata.date") , 'Unknown',
"metadata.date")

Since I cannot figure out how to populate metadata.date  the returned date
will be 'Unknown' which Geonetwork refuses to accept.
The Creation date would do fine, but I would like to add a Revision date as
well since the underlying PostGIS data will change.
I have asked for help on several mailing lists to no avail. If these
parameters are documented, please link me to that. I should not be that
hard to figure out.

Regards, Mats.E