On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Rahkonen Jukka
<jukka.rahko...@mmmtike.fi> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If you want to save disk space you might want to experiment with jpeg
> compressed tiff files.  Read "About JPEG compression of RGB images" from
> http://gdal.org/frmt_gtiff.html
>
> Jpeg compression saves easily 90 percent of the space needed. Naturally if
> you will need lossless quality for some use it will not be an option. And I
> do not know if Geoserver even likes such tiff files because I am running WMS
> from Mapserver but you were asking for tips.

Yep, it works with jpeg compressed files. We do take a performance hit due
to decoding just like MapServer (actually that was one of the first performance
comparisons we made, back at the time MapServer had a bug that made it
4 times slower than GeoServer on jpeg compressed tiffs... that is fixed today
as far as I know).

Tech lead

Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
55054  Massarosa (LU)