Aha, unfortunately all this methods require the oracle georaster jars
which we cannot integrate in the maven build.

Another question, I detected the following method for java 6
http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/sql/Blob.html#free()

Did you experiment with this method ?.

There is also a truncate(..) method, perhaps truncate(0) solves the problem.

Cheers
Christian