Hi Garey,
using GDAL 1.7.3, I would recommend using with the ImageI/O Setup guide
1.1.1 (Not sure whether the paragraph number is the same).
http://java.net/downloads/imageio-ext/Documentation/ImageioExt-SetupGuide-1.1.pdf

Anyway, if my memory serves me right, these gdal versions also require you
specify "--with-threads" in the configure. I remember I saw a warning
message on the JNI methods call when loading them without this flag being
set.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Daniele