We are exploring using GeoServer for a very large collection of image files.
Delivery should be via WMS (most of our clients want WMS). WCS might make
more sense, but we have no control of the clients software.

Anyway, manual creation of all the stores and layers is out of the question.

But the REST api does not describe how to create a Layer, only a store. Are
there exmaples, and documention to create a layer?

Secondly, You going to suggest we mosaic some of these images. Our customers
would prefer we not do that. I am assuming that 20 million layers is out of
the question, so is there any way to structure our image store properly? We
really don't want to force our customers to ESRI ArcGIS with ImageStore
extensions.