On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 4:33 AM, DrYSG <ygutfre...@draper.com> wrote:

> Thank you very much Andrea, Simone and Balazs. Both good information and
> tips. I did not want to give to much details to start. But to answer your
> questions:
>
> 1. Yes I suspected because of the nature of the GetCapabilities that
> mosaics
> are the only way to go.
> 2. Mosaics also make sense since 90% of the data is orthoimagery, 5% DEM
> and
> about 5% a mix of vector and other formats (there are some "themes" that
> can
> break it into different groups, but it is meant to be all the latest
> imagery
> for whatever location is available).
> 3. The usage pattern is probably the key (see below). While there are a lot
> of files, we expect very low server load. A few users per day who want a
> specific set 5 to 10 images from a server.
>
> The hesitation in mosaics is two-fold. One was that I did not see any good
> automated way of creating the shapefiles for mosaics or ways to create the
> stores for them. I do admit to being a geoserver noobie, but I do read the
> documentation (600 pages) in detail, and what I am seeing is that we would
> have to create an automated way of creating a shapefile with outlines for
> each "theme" (10K or so files) and then submit this via the REST API to the
> create store (would like an example).

With that many files, and possibly new files every day,
better use a tile index in PostGIS/Oracle then.

> The deeper reason for the hesitation in creating mosaics is that we are
> really not in the position to apply a blanket rule for the prioritization
> of
> overlapping images for a location. The user needs to be in control of this.
> That is the "advantage" to ArcGIS geoserver. filtering is dynamic on
> attribute type by the end user (cloud cover, quality, temporal age, or any
> other meta data),

As said before, just add those as attributes in the tile index, then you can
filter the way you want.
Controlling z-order is a different thing, you can get limited control by
asking the same layer n times with different filters

> One thing that we are considering (thinking out the box) is to place an
> intercept proxy between geoserver and the GetMap requests. We would then
> create on the fly the store and layer and redirect the request to
> geoserver.
> This way would not prebuild the entire mosaic, just serve the items as
> needed (and do garbage collection after a several thousand requests). The
> trick will be creating the GetMap Requests for the clients (WorldWind,
> Google Earth, etc. ) and crafting a pseudo-getCapabilities that will hide
> what is going on behind the scenes. Any thoughts on this?

Seems overkill to me, but it certainly is a way to go.

Tech lead

fax:      +39 0584 962313
mob:    +39 339 8844549

http://www.geo-solutions.it