On 02/24/2012 06:35 PM, DrYSG wrote:
> We are exploring using GeoServer for a very large collection of image files.
> Delivery should be via WMS (most of our clients want WMS). WCS might make
> more sense, but we have no control of the clients software.
>
> Anyway, manual creation of all the stores and layers is out of the question.
>
> But the REST api does not describe how to create a Layer, only a store. Are
> there exmaples, and documention to create a layer?

A layer is automatically created when a coveragestore is added.

By issuing:
curl --request PUT --basic --user admin:geoserver --verbose \
   --header "Content-Type:image/geotiff" \
   --data-binary @rotated.tiff \

http://localhost:8080/geoserver/rest/workspaces/topp/coveragestores/test/file.geotiff

You'll get a store and a layer both named "test".

> Secondly, You going to suggest we mosaic some of these images. Our customers
> would prefer we not do that. I am assuming that 20 million layers is out of
> the question, so is there any way to structure our image store properly? We
> really don't want to force our customers to ESRI ArcGIS with ImageStore
> extensions.

I am afraid, but image mosaics, as Andrea pointed out, are the only way to
handle
large number of images; moreover, as far as I know, ArcGIS Image Extension
mosaicks images too [1].

Regards,

[1] http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/serverimage/index.html

Luca Morandini