On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 6:35 PM, DrYSG <ygutfre...@draper.com> wrote:

> We are exploring using GeoServer for a very large collection of image
> files.
> Delivery should be via WMS (most of our clients want WMS). WCS might make
> more sense, but we have no control of the clients software.
>
> Anyway, manual creation of all the stores and layers is out of the
> question.
>
> But the REST api does not describe how to create a Layer, only a store. Are
> there exmaples, and documention to create a layer?

There are, look better.

> Secondly, You going to suggest we mosaic some of these images. Our
> customers
> would prefer we not do that. I am assuming that 20 million layers is out of
> the question, so is there any way to structure our image store properly? We
> really don't want to force our customers to ESRI ArcGIS with ImageStore
> extensions.

I'd suggest to go for a mosaic anyways :-p
Seriously, of course you cannot have a capabilities document with 20 million
entries, that would kill any client.

That many images normally have some sort of structure. Maybe they refer to
different
times or different elevations, but the data is actually always the same in
nature (
e.g., barometric pressure, temperature, and so on).
In such case you should probably give GeoSever 2.2.x a spin and use the
WMS time/elevation support:
http://geo-solutions.blogspot.com/2011/06/time-and-elevation-support-in-geoserver.html

Alternatively tiles in a mosaic can be associated with whatever extra
attributes you
want, and those attributes can be used in a CQL_FILTER that will be passed
the mosaic to select only the tiles of the mosaic you actually want.
There is little/no documentation on this, but if you look at the mosaic
tests in geotools
you should be able to figure out how to use it (hopefully someone will show
up and
do the grunt work of documenting these abilities)

Tech lead

fax:      +39 0584 962313
mob:    +39 339 8844549

http://www.geo-solutions.it