On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 11:30 AM,  <christian.muel...@nvoe.at> wrote:
> Hi Andrea
>
> The pregenralized feature stuff is intended to reduce calculations at
> runtime. The idea is comparable to image pyramids.
>
> The concept works well rendering images using WMS in geoserver. But what
> about clients fetching the vector data and doing the rendering for
> themselves ?. I can remember a project using a Java applet and doing the
> same logic, having "pyramids" of vector data and deciding which
> generalization level to use. The result was a big performance improvement. I
> did not use WFS, it was a proprietary solution, but the idea was the same.
>
> Since I am not involved in the WFS modules, I have no concrete idea, but do
> you see a possibility to offer this feature for WFS and how to implement it.

The OGC compliant solution is to improve the Simplify WPS process to leverage
the pre-generalized hints.

If we are going to allow transparent data transformations in WFS why
limit ourselfs
to simplification? What's stopping us from needing something else,
like buffering,
or aggregation, bounding box extraction?

As I said I'm not saying no, but imho this needs a proposal and a
direction, because
once we say yes to this other hacks to handle the remaining
deficiencies of WFS will surely
follow

Tech lead

Via Poggio alle Viti 1187