I'm using the binary so we go with option (a).  Here is what I did:

i) Modified the startup.bat file tin include the line
-Djava.library.path="C:\Program Files (x86)\GeoServer
2.1.4\webapps\geoserver\WEB-INF\lib" just after the call to java.exe.
ii) Restarted geoserver.
iii) Got the following errors while trying to create a store (in the order
indicated):

A)  75578 [btpool0-4] ERROR org.mortbay.log - Nested in
org.springframework.web.util.NestedServletException: Handler processing
failed; nested exception is java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no sdejavautil
in java.library.path:
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no sdejavautil in java.library.path
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)

B) 75578 [btpool0-4] ERROR org.mortbay.log - /geoserver/web/
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no sdejavautil in java.library.path
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
    at com.esri.sde.sdk.client.JGsrvr.<clinit>(Unknown Source)

C) 77703 [btpool0-4] ERROR org.mortbay.log - Nested in
org.springframework.web.util.NestedServletException: Handler processing
failed; nested exception is java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not
initialize class com.esri.sde.sdk.client.JGsrvr:
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class
com.esri.sde.sdk.client.JGsrvr
    at com.esri.sde.sdk.client.SeConnection.x(Unknown Source)
    at com.esri.sde.sdk.client.SeConnection.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at
org.geotools.arcsde.session.Session$CreateSeConnectionCommand.execute(Session.java:610)
    at
org.geotools.arcsde.session.Session$CreateSeConnectionCommand.execute(Session.java:575)
    at org.geotools.arcsde.session.Session.issue(Session.java:180)
    at org.geotools.arcsde.session.Session.<init>(Session.java:166)
    at
org.geotools.arcsde.session.SessionPool$SeConnectionFactory.makeObject(SessionPool.java:384)
    at
org.apache.commons.pool.impl.GenericObjectPool.borrowObject(GenericObjectPool.java:1148)

D) 77703 [btpool0-4] ERROR org.mortbay.log - /geoserver/web/
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class
com.esri.sde.sdk.client.JGsrvr
    at com.esri.sde.sdk.client.SeConnection.x(Unknown Source)
    at com.esri.sde.sdk.client.SeConnection.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at
org.geotools.arcsde.session.Session$CreateSeConnectionCommand.execute(Session.java:610)
    at
org.geotools.arcsde.session.Session$CreateSeConnectionCommand.execute(Session.java:575)
    at org.geotools.arcsde.session.Session.issue(Session.java:180)
    at org.geotools.arcsde.session.Session.<init>(Session.java:166)
    at
org.geotools.arcsde.session.SessionPool$SeConnectionFactory.makeObject(SessionPool.java:384)
    at
org.apache.commons.pool.impl.GenericObjectPool.borrowObject(GenericObjectPool.java:1148)
    at org.geotools.arcsde.session.SessionPool.<init>(SessionPool.java:155)
    at
org.geotools.arcsde.session.SessionPoolFactory.createPool(SessionPoolFactory.java:68)
    at
org.geotools.arcsde.ArcSDEDataStoreFactory.createDataStore(ArcSDEDataStoreFactory.java:267)