can return the time "Extent" of the data. (It returns some thing like this in
the XML returned from the getcapabilities).

  <Extent name="time"
default="current">1984-02-14T00:01:08.000Z/2008-12-17T17:00:00.000Z/P24Y10M1W2DT12H58M52S</Extent>

Is there a way to set the extent in some meta-data file, so that the GeoServer
would just grab that rather than do a query against the database ?

From: t...@hotmail.com
To: geoserver-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: WMS request=getcapabilities takes a loooooooooooooong time to return
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 23:41:19 +0000

I have a copy of a trunk pre-release of geoserver2.2 that supports a time-based
WMS request.

On one network that I have this hosted, a simple getCapabilities request
returns in a matter of a second (that data tables the layers point too contain
a small amount of data).

On another network where I have this geoserver hosted, the getCapabilities
takes about 30 minutes to return a result. The data tables on this network
contain substantial amounts of data.

A couple of questions:

. does the getCapabilities do an sql query of some kind against the data tables
(the WMS layers, if you will) to return its result, or is it strickly using the
meta data defined for the layer to return its result ?

. what else might make this request take so long ?

Thanks in advance!