Thanks for offering the possibility to code! We always love new
contributors to GeoServer.

I'm not sure on the classes, Andrea can help with that. But seems like it
would ideally work in the same way the 'bounds' works. It was built the way
it is for the same issue - dynamic requesting of data can slow capabilities
documents a lot.

Perhaps we could do it in the same GUI call of the bounds on the
featureType? I mean, it seems to just be an extra dimension of the bounds.
So a user would hit 'generate bounds' and it would grab not only the
geographic bounds but also the time bounds. I'm just thinking that could be
nicer than two different buttons they have to hit.

And definitely would be good to get away from that fully dynamic generation
of any part of the capabilities document, we should try our best to make it
so the default experience is always both fast and fully standards
compliant. Better to have a user be able to choose 'dynamic mode' if they
want it generated every time, and default to a cached thing that performs
better, imho.