On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 9:01 PM, o ... <t...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Andrea,
>
> Thanks for you reply ! (we will be indexing ALL our time fields in the
> data tables that are seen by GeoServer).
>
> I might be game for coding. So lets suppose I add some kind of metadata to
> either the feature.xml or the layer.xml for each of my time-based layers.
>
> Can you suggest which java classes I need to change to read this new
> metadata ?
> And also the classes I'd need to change to STOP gathering the time-range
> from the database ?

Yep, here we go.

The configuration of a dimension is contained in this class, this one
should be extended to allow
a manual range or list of values to be specified:
https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/blob/master/src/main/src/main/java/org/geoserver/catalog/DimensionInfo.java

The user interface editing it is contained in these two files:

https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/blob/master/src/web/core/src/main/java/org/geoserver/web/data/resource/DimensionEditor.java
https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/blob/master/src/web/core/src/main/java/org/geoserver/web/data/resource/DimensionEditor.html

The utility class extracting ranges and domains for WMS to report in the
capabilities is here:
https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/blob/master/src/wms/src/main/java/org/geoserver/wms/WMS.java
(pay attention, the handling is different for vector and raster data)

WCS 1.0 also uses DimensionInfo and will have to be amended as a
consequence:
https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/blob/master/src/wcs1_0/src/main/java/org/geoserver/wcs/response/Wcs10CapsTransformer.java

Patches have to be associated with automated tests checking the expected
behavior is in place
(you can start without the tests, but then you'll have to wait for someone
to complete the work,
no code without a minimum of test coverage is committed in GeoServer).

Given this is a structural change on DimensionInfo it reflects on the on
disk config format and the
REST config output formats, as such it is backwards incompatible and can be
landed only
on trunk (what will be released in 6 months as 2.3.0)

Our support, Your Success! Visit http://opensdi.geo-solutions.it for more
information.

@geowolf
Technical Lead