Hi Daniele,

Thanks a lot for your response - really appreciate any help you are able to
offer.

My reply is slightly delayed because I wanted to get the details of the
server I'm configuring correct. However, I think my main issue is just with
getting a GDAL 2.x based extension to load within GeoServer 2.16.0 on
Windows x64.

I'm setting up on WIndows Server 2012 R2 Standard using the
platform-independent binary. I've downloaded and set up the 2.16.0 release
without issues, base install runs fine.

I also downloaded the geoserver-2.16.0-gdal-plugin.zip archive from the
Extensions area and copied the jars into my GeoServer's /lib area as
instructed.

To install the Windows native dependencies, I followed the instructions
here https://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/data/raster/gdal.html under
"Windows packages and setup":

I downloaded the following archive from GISInternals:

release-1900-x64-gdal-2-4-2-mapserver-7-4-0.zip

and extracted it to C:\gisinternals

Then added the following lines to startup.bat in the GeoServer bin area:

set PATH=%PATH%;C:\gisinternals\bin;C:\gisinternals\bin\gdal\java
set GDAL_DRIVER_PATH=C:\gisinternals\bin\gdal\plugins
set GDAL_DATA=C:\gisinternals\bin\gdal-data

The main GDAL DLL in this extracted ZIP is gdal204.dll ... is this as
expected?

(I realise there are some additional paths I need to add for the ECW
plug-in etc, but not worried about that for now. I've previously verified
this GDAL can read ECW files correctly via gdalinfo and the plug-in on this
server.)

Anyway, when I start GeoServer again after these changes, I don't see the
additional Raster Formats available as Data Sources. I've attached the log
of startup, which doesn't seem to mention loading GDAL as expected.

Some tips on whether I've got the right GISInternals ZIP, whether my PATH
looks right, perhaps what logging diagnostics I should expect to see as the
GDAL extension is loaded would be really helpful!

Tom