Mats,
the Windows installer is there to help people get started, testing
GeoServer and getting to know it,
and play with it on their development machine (which is Windows for many).
Having an installer that gives many people a quick intro to GeoServer is
important for the project diffusion.

We agree it's not meant for production, making a production grade installer
would be possible, but there are no resources
for it, Windows installations drive very little business (as GeoServer on
Linux is anecdotally 30% faster than on Windows,
and easier to handle due to file lock issues on Windows).

I'm guessing there is a business opportunity there, if nobody wants to do a
production grade installer for Windows in spare time,
some could come up with it as a paid product. GeoServer would remain GPL,
but the installer could be closed source.
Would be a good fit for those that have trouble handling a Tomcat
installation (believe it or not, I've met various).

Having a good guide on how to setup GeoServer on Windows for production
would help, and maybe it's easier to
find someone that is willing to contribute it in their spare time, rather
than writing an installer.
If anyone is so inclined, please see the following to get started:
https://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/docguide/

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 12:05 PM Mats Elfström <mats.elfst...@giskraft.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Just to report on my experience, after that tip from Daniele I was able
>>> to get the whole setup working almost immediately, but using the WAR
>>> download and a 64-bit install of Tomcat 8.5 as a service. I wasn't able to
>>> get the platform-independent binary to load the GDAL stack despite it
>>> running under a 64-bit JRE, which was a bit perplexing.
>>>

>> Hum... did you try to start it stand alone or as a service? The service
>> mode is compatible only with 32bit, was a limitation of the tool
>> we used many years ago to create a service around GeoServer. The Windows
>> installer could certainly use a make over, if anyone
>> wants to put some development time in it, it would be appreciated.
>>

>>> All good though, working now and I'm unblocked. Thanks again for your
>>> help. Let me know if there's a way I can contribute to documentation and so
>>> on.
>>>

>> The docs are in version control, written in RST, pull requests are
>> welcomed:
>> https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/tree/master/doc/en/user/source
>>
>> If you find that you just want to modify parts of a page, you can just
>> hit the "edit" link available in each page right menu,
>> and will brig you to the relevant github resource where you can follow
>> the quick fix procedure:
>> https://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/docguide/quickfix.html
>>
>> Hope this helps
>>
>> Cheers
>> Andrea
>>
>> ==
>>
>> GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit
>> http://goo.gl/it488V for more information. == Ing. Andrea Aime @geowolf
>> Technical Lead GeoSolutions S.A.S. Via di Montramito 3/A 55054 Massarosa
>> (LU) phone: +39 0584 962313 fax: +39 0584 1660272 mob: +39 339 8844549
>> http://www.geo-solutions.it http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it
>> ------------------------------------------------------- *Con riferimento
>> alla normativa sul trattamento dei dati personali (Reg. UE 2016/679 -
>> Regolamento generale sulla protezione dei dati “GDPR”), si precisa che ogni
>> circostanza inerente alla presente email (il suo contenuto, gli eventuali
>> allegati, etc.) è un dato la cui conoscenza è riservata al/i solo/i
>> destinatario/i indicati dallo scrivente. Se il messaggio Le è giunto per
>> errore, è tenuta/o a cancellarlo, ogni altra operazione è illecita. Le
>> sarei comunque grato se potesse darmene notizia. This email is intended
>> only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
>> information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from
>> disclosure. We remind that - as provided by European Regulation 2016/679
>> “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this e-mail or the information
>> herein by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
>> have received this email by mistake, please notify us immediately by
>> telephone or e-mail.*
>>
>> If you want to request a feature or an improvement, also see this:

Regards, Andrea Aime == GeoServer Professional Services from the experts!