Hi Daniele and Mats,

Just to report on my experience, after that tip from Daniele I was able to
get the whole setup working almost immediately, but using the WAR download
and a 64-bit install of Tomcat 8.5 as a service. I wasn't able to get the
platform-independent binary to load the GDAL stack despite it running under
a 64-bit JRE, which was a bit perplexing.

All good though, working now and I'm unblocked. Thanks again for your help.
Let me know if there's a way I can contribute to documentation and so on.

Tom Lynch