On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 15:57 +0100, Simone Giannecchini wrote:
> So in the end we will resort to split down our code into basically two
> parts, one LGPL which contains the code compatible with LGPL, the
> other one, the one that comes from SUN' imageio code which will have a
> license similar to the IMAGEIO license,

Yeah, that's a drag but probably the only legal resolution to that
issue.

> This should address most concerns, since we will be in a similar
> situation to jai and imageio.

Yes, if you have your SUN code as a separate download.

Presumably this happens at the same time as you have your users download
GDAL so that should not complicate their life greatly. At least if I
have understood the outline of what you are doing.

> See here: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOT-2289

Ok

> > We had a conditional dependency flag to avoid this code, why is that no
> > longer suitable?
>
> Well, I guess that under the supported land there should be no such
> flags. It was used as long as gdal support was under unsupported.

A flag seems like a possible resolution; indeed, I have trouble seeing
how we could avoid such a thing. However, since I no longer understand
what you are actually doing to the SVN, I'll wait until you tell us what
the end result of the last 48 hours were and what you propose going
forwards.

> However I was referring to sentences like this one:
>
> "The first was a utility class (seems like a good place to start, no?)
> which contained only static methods but had a chaotic view of
> inheritance: it's not final but not instantiable and then has some
> public, some private and some package-protected methods. "

svn co https://imageio-ext.dev.java.net/svn/imageio-ext/trunk imageioext
cd imageioext
mvn eclipse:eclipse
==> load as existing projects into Eclipse
==> open lowermost project
The entire project has one file (!?) called
  it.geosolutions.imageio.utilities.ImageIOUtilities.java