You might have some online resources under your control, and may wish
for these tests to fail when they cannot connect, while ignoring
connection failures in others. As noted by Andrea in our discussion last
August, this decision must be left to those configuring the online test
fixtures for a particular continuous integration engine instance. This
requirement (and Andrea's suggestion) guided the implementation.

Please re-read the discussions on the proposal page to refresh your memory:
http://n2.nabble.com/Prevent-silent-failures-of-online-tests-td1954287.html
http://n2.nabble.com/Proposal%3A-support-test-fixtures-that-fail-on-failed-connection--GEOT-1951--td1958345.html

We went over this in August, and I was deterred; apologies for the delay
in reviving this proposal. Recent development ordeals have hardened my
resolve.  :-|

The underlying problem is that some unit tests must do a lot of work to
connect(), and the default behaviour is that failure in connect() is
silently ignored. For a unit test, this is pure evil. Not wanting to
impose my moral purity on the community, I have made good an optional
behaviour.  :-)

Kind morally relativistic regards,
Ben.

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben.caradoc-dav...@csiro.au>
Software Engineer, CSIRO Exploration and Mining