Jody Garnett wrote:
> I think this is a case were we can come to a decision without a formal
> proposal since this just effects us the devel community and the change is not
> visible to user code. But that is my take on it - we are still sorting out
> when a proposal is useful and when it is a waste of time :-)

Jody, Jody, I am hyperventilating.

http://n2.nabble.com/Prevent-silent-failures-of-online-tests-tp1954287p1954294.html
"That works for me; but remember you will need to make a formal proposal
on this one (since we are trying to change the build policies)." - Jody
Garnett, 2008-08-18

http://n2.nabble.com/Proposal%3A-support-test-fixtures-that-fail-on-failed-connection--GEOT-1951--tp1958345p1958349.html
"So I would really like a proposal no matter what; that is GeoTools
policy for build level changes. Notice I made a proposal last week for
something that amounted to adding a bunch of profiles so you did not
need to build unsupported modules.
Just so I am clear: if you are hoping to make your patch small enough to
avoid writing a proposal - I am afraid I must disappoint you :-) It is
the subject area you are working (namely something that effects several
modules) that makes the need for a proposal clear. And also the need to
update the developers guide." - Jody Garnett, 2008-08-26

> I see what you are getting at; and I think we could be more specific and
> still cover all out bases. I would like to disable the test when the service
> in question cannot be reached (either due to firewall issues or something
> like that). If we actually have a problem making the connection because of
> version incompatibility or something then that is a perfectly good error to
> report.
> Does the difference make sense?

Yes, but how do you tell? OnlineTestCase would need to know all
exception types that might be thrown by future implementations on
connection failure. Some may be RuntimeException. How do we tell if this
is a transient connection failure? And what if the implementation is
incorrect and throws a could-not-contact exception when it is broken?

These are only tests, and do not have to be feature-complete. I just
want them to fail when something goes wrong. That is why they are there.

> I think it would also be okay to have a build time property that you could
> set to *ensure* the external service is contacted. -Donline=required, or
> -Dstrict =true or something.

I think Andrea's earlier comment reminds us that one person's remote
service is another person's local service , so per-fixture configuration
is useful.

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben.caradoc-dav...@csiro.au>
Software Engineer, CSIRO Exploration and Mining