Read over the proposal; I think this is a case were we can come to a
decision without a formal proposal since this just effects us the devel
community and the change is not visible to user code. But that is my take on
it - we are still sorting out when a proposal is useful and when it is a
waste of time :-)
I see what you are getting at; and I think we could be more specific and
still cover all out bases. I would like to disable the test when the service
in question cannot be reached (either due to firewall issues or something
like that). If we actually have a problem making the connection because of
version incompatibility or something then that is a perfectly good error to
report.

Does the difference make sense?

I think it would also be okay to have a build time property that you could
set to *ensure* the external service is contacted. -Donline=required, or
-Dstrict =true or something.

Two more ideas:
- Finally the whole OnlineTest thing is not quite applied yet; I cannot
always build GeoTools with a -o option an expect to be able to run tests. It
may be worth making a few more TestCase super classes that are not so stuck
on this "connection" idea ...
- JUnit4 annotations; I wonder if we can just do this stuff for a single
method @OnlineTest ? It could check the environmental variable to see if -o
is being used; and if so skip that particular method?

Cheers,
Jody