Hi Jody,

>> I propose that we merge this branch into trunk. The result would be
>> that unsupported/mappane is removed and demo/mappane-use is replaced
>> by demo/mapwidget.
>
> That sounds great :-)

Excellent.  I'll warn the user list before I do it, although I have
the impression that no one there has been using the 2.6 code so far.

> Any progress with the background rendering from
> the user list?

I'm waiting to hear from Benoit about seeing his code - I gather he is
very busy at the moment.

> Let's both be maintainers of that one; I stepped up quickly because
> consider it important for the adoption of the library and ease of
> learning.

It's a deal :-)  That would be great from my point of view.

> Looking at the code base here I suspect we will need to pick and
> choose between the three involved modules (mappane; widgets-swing,
> widgets-swing-pending). My idea was to fold the latter two into a
> single module. I tried doing that quickly yesterday but am holding off
> as it requires a bit of a careful review). I have also entertained
> combining them both into a  "gt-swing" module and reducing the scope a
> little bit.  I would like to drive this based on tutorials and code
> examples (since that is my need) but hopefully we can scare up some
> good conversations on the user list.

Fantastic - I hadn't realized you'd gone that far already.

I know tutorials and examples in this area would find a ready audience.

cheers
Michael