Reclamation :-)

First, I use geotools also in an EJB Container,having its own life
cicle and class loader.

Second, I use geotools in a Java Applet, yet another life cyle. The
Java VM is started only once and there can be many different applets.

The only thing I want to say is that we should not forget that
geotools is used in other environments too.

I am happy with your proposal, but sometimes I get the feeling that
geotools is made for geoserver only, that would be a pity.

Thats my opinion, but as you know, I am always ready for a compromise.