Okay; well the procedure is here:
- http://docs.geotools.org/latest/developer/guide/roles/commit.html
It amounts to sending an email to getools-devel asking for commit access; and
filling in some (gasp!) physical paper work.

I will take your last email as a request (+1 welcome to GeoTools!) and ask you
to fill in the following:
- GeotoolsAssignmentToOSGeo.pdf

When you have put that in the mail; let us know via email and we can go through
the rest of the steps.

Working on an experiment like this is very low key; we are not part of the
regular build (which is the usual stress of being a committer).