Yeah, the geoserver build uses a custom plugin to copy over a data directory
into the webapp. Its pretty outdated as it seems. A full blown plug-in is
not really need for that, and actually it just complicates the build. Some
inline ant with the antrun plugin in the web/app pom should do the same and
be easier to maintain. So I attached a patch to GEOS-4652 that does just
that.

With that and a few other minor tweaks I was able to build geoserver with
maven 3. However I did not not run with tests, getting late here :) So if
the other devs could give the patch a spin that would be great. Regardless
it should be a decent starting point.

-Justin

--
Justin Deoliveira