Just a remark first: I did not write any of the code we are writing about,
I am only reporting what I find. I don't feel one way or the other about
it, so if you reckon it needs to be changed it is fine for me, as long as
you specify exactly what you want to change about it. I'm just the
messenger, basically.

Thanks Niels, I expect we are both being too polite. I will try and be
succinct, feel free to push back if I am creating more work for you.

1) access to version negotiation

uDig was making use of a method that allowed passing in a URL (of WFS
Service without VERSION) and it would return the result of version
negotiation between client and server (i.e. a URL with VERSION=X.X.X). This
is required so we get a stable ID for recording the datastore (and thus can
notices if two URLs end up talking to the same WFS using the same protocol).

2) Default output format WFS=1.0.0 = GML2, WFS 1.1 = GML3, WFS=2.0 = GML?

3) namespace

Namespace should be not only optional, but marked as LEVEL="advanced" (or
even LEVEL="program" if it something that geoserver fills in automatically
to match the workspace namespace)

4) udig did a null check, just in case.

Agreed.

Thanks Niels, sorry for the epic discussion thread.