Dan,

The coincident first and last positions in a polygon coordinate list are in
GeoRSS because they are specified that way in both OGC and ISO standards and
therefore implemented that way in most every piece of geospatial software. It
is hard to track down all of the reasons for this, but technically the polygon
boundary is defined by linear interpolation between adjacent coordinate tuples,
so it helps with consistency. The order of the coordinate positions usually has
topological significance as well. Pretty much every polygon coordinate string
in the world is constructed this way (including the example in
(http://dev.iptc.org/rNews-10-The-Geo-Coordinates-Class , mangled a bit), so
it's an interoperability issue as far as reusing geodata.

There are OWL / RDF representations defined for GeoRSS
(http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/geo/XGR-geo-20071023/W3C_XGR_Geo_files/geo_2007.owl)
 and WKT or well-known-text (http://schemas.opengis.net/geosparql/) which might
also be useful for defining geo-schemas.

Cheers,

Josh