I actually don't agree with this statement, Susi. I've seen students (and
academic) engage in debates with skeptics in public forums where they
haven't been able to respond to arguments e.g. global dimming and the
allegation that warming actually causes carbon dioxide levels to rise. If
you simply state your position without responding to specific
counterarguments, you can look dumb.

I'll give you a perfect example, I watched Representative Jim Moran debate
Representative Duncan Hunter (who no one would accuse of being a towering
intellectual) on Hardball with Chris Matthews a few weeks ago on climate
change. Moran stubbornly kept saying "this is what the IPCC is telling us."
Hunter hit him with a fusillade of contrarian arguments, including the
alleged impact of solar intensity variability and cooling in portions of the
Antarctic, and when Moran didn't address those specific issues, Hunter
argued, "you guys accuse of ignoring science, but these are scientific
facts." I think Hunter ended up drubbing him as a result. We need to train
our students to address the specific arguments that they guys are making or
we risk being accused of turning tail and running from "the truth." wil

Dr. Wil Burns

Class of 1946 Visiting Professor

Center for Environmental Studies

Williams College