Wil -
It's the history of the climate change discourse that we think this will get decided on the science. I am not convinced that this is where we will "win" the engagement of the public. Sorry - too skeptical. Of course, you're right that politics gets decided on values.

My point before is precisely that this is where most of the "winning and losing" will happen - on our values, in our guts. The shouting match over scientific factoids simply allows people to postpone some really tough choices that they will need to make on the basis of heuristics (do I trust this contrarian guy better or this liberal greeny, for example). Very few people will process this stuff deeply, systematically, and carefully informed by science. Thus I agree with you that a "no-response" to contrarians will look like you're avoiding something and THAT will influence people's judgment over what's "true" about the science, more so than their understanding of the science.

So, by all means, keep explaining what's phony science and cherry-picked arguments to your students. Help them respond in a way that make them the more trustworthy debater in the match. But maybe also explain what tough things may be coming down the pike (for them and the vast majority of humankind) if we don't learn to make choices in the face of moral and factual uncertainty.... and help them help the audience see that necessity (and if you feel so inclined, how to make that choice).

Clearly, if this topic had an easy answer.... I don't think we'd still had these discussions.
Susi

Dr. Wil Burns wrote:
I'm a bit skeptical that a values-based framing is any easier when engaging
the general public, Susi, but you've done far more work in this context than
I have! I do think that some of these canards (e.g. no warming since 1998)
have really helped shift the public's attitudes and need to be confronted
directly, because otherwise it's really hard to re-frame the issues. Whether
we like it or not, climate policy is decided in democratic forums, and if we
lose the debates on science, we lose the critical public support that moves
us forward. wil

Dr. Wil Burns
Class of 1946 Visiting Professor
Center for Environmental Studies