What was the vet's intention in using astro-turf? to eliminate any possibly
allergy sources? This doesn't sound wise to me- if accidentally ingested,
it could potentially cause a blockage. The best allergy-safe bedding to use
is plain white unscented tissue and paper.

I would give the remaining gerbil at least a couple weeks alone before
trying to introduce a new companion. Animals will often take time to grieve
for a lost companion.
Jill