Rena T. Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote

>Although I am not an expert, I would like to say something that pertains
>to humans.  I was taking extra Vitamin C when I was pregnant ( I had a
>cold and was trying something, I thought that was natural cure to help
>relieve a sore throat) When I went to an appointment I casually
>mentioned this to my OB.  He said to stop doing it, because they have
>had children born and been getting plenty of the vitamin and developed
>rickets (a disease associated with a vitamin C deficiency) because their
>bodies where used to getting the high dose and then when it gets the
>recommended dose it develops rickets.  Sooo..I have concluded that maybe
>they are getting the correct amount of vitamins, but since they were
>supplemented before their bodies think they are deficient??  Just a
>thought.
>
>rena
>
>Blue wrote:

Rickets is caused by a deficiency of vitamin D which most humans produce
enough of through normal exposure to sunlight. Vitamin D is used by the
body when managing calcium, Vitamin C is used to make collagen. Bones
are made of collagen and calcium, but whilst a lack of Vitamin D will
make bones soft (rickets) a loss of collagen will make them too brittle.
Before you noticed collagen loss affecting bones you would have bleeding
gums, loose teeth, torn ligaments and all sorts of other problems.

It is possible that you were told a story about vitamin D excesses, in
the hope that it would discourage you from vitamin C excesses, which are
not proven to be of any benefit, but may cause various problems
including cancer.

Vitamin D is stored in the body, because of course the sun does not
shine everyday. Obviously there are risks whenever the body stores
something and excessive doses are being taken as the stores can
interfere with other processes.

--
Julian
[EMAIL PROTECTED]