I never have had any gerbils with their nails grown
too long.  I give them boxes which they dig in the
corners of for a while before they gnaw up.

The nails do look long (as opposed to say a dogs toe
nails) and are a bit curved at the end, but I don't
believe you need to clip them.

Donna
ABC Gerbils
www.abcgerbils.com