From: Budge

Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2016 23:18

I am also not sure which is the correct way to get "hd" resolution with only 25fps.

My preferred HD mode is HLSHD. It gives the fastest downloads and also lets me have 1280x720 at 25fps. It has the disadvantage that is it only available from one CDN. More seriously, for a period of about three weeks a month or two ago almost all programmes had multiple Segment not found errors in HLS modes. This led to its no longer being the default best mode from v2.96 on. Those problems seem to have been fixed and show no signs of coming back. About two weeks ago I got Segment not found errors (as they were called in v2.95) in episodes 5 and 6 of Fleabag. I think that reflects the making of those episodes during the time of the HLS errors, rather than that they were new errors.

If I have understood the Wiki correctly (I say that because I have just checked and it is different from what I thought, particularly tv25fps) the v2.97 default best mode is HVFHD which is 1280x720 50fps, whereas HLSHD is 1280x720 25fps. The highest HVF resolution at 25fps is HVFVHIGH at 960x540.