On Wed Oct 26 23:18:18 BST 2016, Budge wrote:

You do not, of course, need a defence.
(snip)
Sorry I didn't go straight to it as you pointed out.

... You don't have to be apologetic...
I'm notorious for not providing one(or two)-liners as
replies to people's queries - I tend to be verbose and
analytic; sorry, but this is how I function as a person :-)
I realise this causes sometimes a single tree to be missed
inside the forrest...

While on the subject of prefs I use:-
tvmode = flashhd,hvfvhigh,flashvhigh,hvfhigh
(snip)
I note there are still references to deprecated options
in the text which comes up after a download

... The deprecation messages are due to the flashmodes
inside your user prefs; I have written about it in the past
in that the messages are benign forewarnings of the coder's
intention to remove them in a future major release of GiP;
you are not committing something out of place if you continue
using them, for as long as they are available.
TBH, I myself often still use them for both radio (& video),
because they have the added advantage of resumability,
which comes handy in the case of erratic/flakey internet
connections; both the hvf and hls modes can't be resumed
(an inherent flaw of FFmpeg/Perl downloader).

It is generally admitted by most UK users that the hls/hvf
modes are quite faster than the flash ones, but YMMV.
At my end, flashhd/flashvhigh2 (both on the AkamaiCDN)
are quite fast, so I usually observe the following speedwise:

hls(hd|vhigh) > flash(hd|vhigh2) >= hvfvhigh2

I am also not sure which is the correct way
to get "hd" resolution with only 25fps.
(snip)
would be grateful for advice on best practice
and getting fully up to date.

... Assuming you're on GiP 2.96+, have a read of:

https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/release296#5-configuring-maximum-recording-quality-with-the-new-default-modes

I think tv25fps is the one you're after, which is
a shortcut (alias) for:

hlshd,hvfvhigh,hlsvhigh,hvfhigh,hlshigh,hvfstd,hlsstd,hvflow,hlslow

It doesn't include  flashmodes; regarding those:

https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/release296#4-flash---saviour-of-the-universe

If you're happy sticking with flashmodes for as long as
they are with us, you can also include flashhd:

get_iplayer --tvmode=flashhd,tv25fps --prefs-add

(will first try flashhd over RTMP).

Another possibly interesting read in the wiki is:

https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/modes

Remember, when in doubt, most subjects are
already covered in the wiki, thanks to dinkypumpkin!

Best regards,
Vangelis.