On Sat, 11 Dec 2004, John Culleton wrote:

> On Saturday 11 December 2004 06:11, Sven Neumann wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > John Culleton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > > I have downloaded the latest help file. Befor I untar it, where is
> > > it supposed to go? Or more particularly, where is it supposed to be
> > > when I untar it?
> >
> > Just untar them and read the installation instructions in the file
> > INSTALL.
> >
> OK the instructions say run ./configure and ./configure fails because it
> can't
> find a file called gimp-2.0 pc. I searched my disks (several versions of Gimp
> laying around) and no such file exists. The ./configure run also says:
> "couldn't find a Gimp-2.0 installation". There are about three laying around.
>
> So, back to my original question. Where should I try to untar the Gimp help
> tarball? I don't want to muck up a functioning Gimp installation by untarring
> them in the wrong location.

You should have several gimp-2.0.pc files if you have several
installations. You will need to find them. Standard locations would be for
example;

/usr/lib/pkgconfig/gimp-2.0.pc
/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/gimp-2.0.pc
/opt/lib/pkgconfig/gimp-2.0.pc

Determine which gimp you want the help files to be associated with, eg the
one in say /usr/local

Then export your PKG_CONFIG_PATH

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/

Now check it

pkg-config --modversion gimp-2.0

Then try installing your help

Owen