Joe Schaffner schreef:
I have friends who use AutoCad and are always talking about scalable,
vector graphics. AutoCad also uses layers, but I've forgotten exactly
what the were.

AutoCad is a CAD program and uses vector graphics; MS Paint and GIMP are bitmap graphics programs. If you what you want is bitmap graphics, GIMP is an excellent choice, but if it's vector graphics you need, you should check out Inkscape (http://www.inkscape.org) which uses SVG (scalable vector graphics). GIFs are never scalable though; they only contain bitmap graphics (well you can rescale everything of course, but the quality will suffer).

Roel Schroeven