Cornelio Hopmann raises some important points. I agree that IT may often
be used by service providers rather than by the poor directly. But I
don't agree that there is no connection between what companies can sell
to the poor and the needs of poor households. In conjuction with
Professor CK Prahalad and others, we have documented a number of win-win
business models. I realize that such approaches are still controversial,
and that examples of corporate practices that have not benefitted the
poor still come readily to mind. But for example, ITC, an Indian company
that has put Internet-connected computers in farmers' houses, situating
these e-choupals so that each serves 600 or so farmers, and supplied
daily market prices for crops, found it necessary to create trust and
economic and social value in order for its business model to succeed.
They are now serving 4 million farmers. The case study can be found on
<www.digitaldividend.org>. Nor is this an isolated example. We and our
colleagues have documented win-win examples in many sectors. And we have
evidence that companies which simply try to take their products
downmarket often fail.

So I would suggest that there may be an important and overlooked
connection between the market forces that drive globalization and their
need for growth, when taken to the village level--and meeting the real
needs of the poor. In many but not all of the examples we have studied,
ICT plays a critical role--as a tool that enables transparent
transactions, or helps drive costs down, or provides access to
information, etc.

Perhaps the connection between a business approach and the poor would be
more clear if I describe the benefits to the poor that we think we see
from pro-poor business strategies, and then the appropriate role of
technology might be more evident. These include:

1) Breaking local monopolies of traditional goods and services, whether
credit, or water, or agricultural inputs. Often local middlemen are the
most exploitive of all, and a large company that rationalizes the supply
chain can lower price and improve quality, providing competition to the
local middlemen in ways that benefits poor people. Micro-finance is a
classic example; or the e-choupals that ITC has deployed, offering lower
price inputs and higher prices for the farmer's grain than the local
(monopoly) auction markets.

2) Providing access to empowering technologies and/or information. In
the example above, ITC provides internet access and market prices,
empowering farmers. Internet kiosks, such as those provided by n-Logue,
Drishtee, can often play a similar role. So can cell phones, such as
those provided by Smart Communications in the Phillipines, which makes
pre-paid text-messaging units available in very small units ($.03),
within the range of virtually everyone--enabling people to find jobs,
sell goods, even do remittance transactions; virtually all of the 14
million customers Smart serves are very low income, yet the company is
growing rapidly and is profitable.

3) Creating jobs. HLL's Shakti distribution system for consumer products
aims to create 500,000 self-employed entrepreneurs. Grameen Phone has
close to 100,000 entrepreneurs providing village phone service. Vodacom
in South Africa has more than 10,000 entrepreneurs who own and manage
community phone shops. These are big, profitable businesses who are also
creating jobs and wealth for local entrepreneurs--both win. In effect,
these companies are extending commercial activities and market processes
down to the village level--and in ways that are, we believe, beneficial
to customers and local partners, as well as to the company. In fact, we
think these mutual benefits are closely linked--that, in most cases,
large companies will succeed commercially in selling to poor people if
they also serve their real needs and create real local value and trust.
If that's true, then it is not a matter of enlightened leadership, but
as I suggested above, of extending the market processes that
characterize global economic integration clear down to the village
level--so that poor people can benefit from choice, market competition,
and better price and quality, employment opportunities, etc., just as
other (middle class) consumers do. It is this potential overlap between
the needs of large companies for growth and what they need to do to
succeed in low income communities, and the needs of the poor, that is
truly a huge opportunity. And it suggests that a key step to making
globalization work for the poor is to get large companies to stop
ignoring the poor and instead take them seriously as a market.

As for technology, we see good examples using Internet kiosks, cell
phones, handhelds, software on servers that is accessible over any form
of connectivity, wireless broadband--in our experience the business
model is more critical in determining whether the technology is really
useful in serving the poor than is the choice of technology per se. But
that is not to undercut the role of technology--without ICT, very few
effective services will get beyond the urban fringe into rural areas,
and efficient commercial processes cannot function, nor can the poor
really access or benefit from global markets. But the role of technology
is for the most part precisely the role it plays in facilitating a
global market process already--what is new is providing efficient
transactions, more competitive markets, access to information, or
transparency in rural areas.

Allen L. Hammond
Vice President for Innovation & Special Projects
World Resources Institute
10 G Street NE
Washington, DC 20002  USA
V (202) 729-7777