Dear Colleagues,

I am intrigued by this statement by Vickram Crishna:

> I mention these two examples only to show that the realities of social
> change are very very complex and shouldn't be simplified into
> 'corporate' vs 'other model' - such divides do not serve the purpose
> that are sought by questions such as this topic line suggest.

.. and I agree with it.

My response here, by the way, is a real-time, (almost) one draft wonder,
so please expect me to change some of what I say in further iterations
and in other places.

Let me introduce myself. I am Lee Thorn, chair of Jhai Foundation
<www.jhai.org> which has developed, among other things, the Jhai PC and
communication system. We have worked primarily in Lao PDR and are now
branching out. I have worked on the ground - or near it - on social
change projects for over 35 years, starting with Vietnam veterans
organizations like and including Vietnam Veterans Against the War, where
I worked briefly with John Kerry. I have an MBA, come from a business
family, and taught organizational development in a graduate business
school. I am a community organizer mainly ... by nature and training.
One generation before me my family members were mainly farmers and rural
entrepreneurs. I know myself a bit and the picture is ok, but not great.
I believe I still can, as Sartre once suggested, improve my biography.
I'm 61 and having a good time.

I understand that Bill Gates and AMD are announcing a new product that
will compete with the Jhai PC and communication system, they hope, in
China and India. It is a low-power, low-cost, they say, computer. It
will use Windows, as I understand it.

I believe the Jhai PC and communicaton system will beat them ... or they
and we will decide to work together on some aspects of what so many of
us want to help people do: connect, often for trade, no matter what
folks' economic status is or however remote their localities are. I
expect the former; I'd love the latter.

AMD and MS have all the advantages of corporate power and connections:
vast money, pre-existing, successful organizations, facilities, and
processes ... and wide connections among all - but one - important
potential allies.

It is the lack of connection with end user that will kill them.

What they do NOT have is a product that:

1. Was developed with the direct help of people in poverty in the areas
they intend to reach who put together not only a collective and clearly
expressed needs statement, but also helped design the process of
implementation, including their own business plan.

2. Was developed by people who have good connections with grounded
ngo's with long track records in the communities they work and who are
trusted, even adopted by, these communities. Or alternatively, was
developed by family members in these communities and family members
elsewhere with a set of skills and contacts and enthusiasm the
communities want to make use of. Or both, as in Jhai's case.

3. Was and is being developed through open source, open design
protocols which actually encourage the revision and redesign of both
software and hardware by the maximum number of people. These protocols
even include, I should say, the opportunities for others to rethink and
remake the initial products and systems and make them their own.

4. An operational understanding that people are full and whole human
beings who are very interested in communication and connection ...
arguably more than any particular information or even economic
betterment beyond the stage of just-past self-sufficiency. Almost
everyone I have ever met want full lives, want to keep their traditions,
and want to enjoy the diversity they see and hear about. People are not
consumers. Consuming is one thing people do.

So, is the answer adoption of another way of doing business and/or
another way of doing development?

I don't know. I am not comfortable on that level of abstraction.

What my experience tells me is the picture is murky and very localized.
What my experience tells me is that what is most interesting is what is
most unlike what I can fit inside my cookie cutter, in fact, what forces
me to get rid of cookie cutters as much as I can. What my experience
tells me is that greed does not mobilize for long. What my experience
tells me is that what mobilizes people best is hope and faith that their
families and communities, including those in diasporas, can reconnect
and connect better for the purpose of keeping their traditions ... while
finding ways to increase their income without giving up their
traditions. Iin many rural settings like where many of my relatives
still live, the question is: how to we keep one or two kids per family
on the farm?

And here's something else: people know, especially poor people know,
when they are getting hustled. They know even better when they are
getting disempowered or are in danger of disempowerment ... eventually
.. but they need to know they can support their children before they
take much risk. So often poor people go along to get along ... and to
get some food in the stomach. This path is downward though and often
leads to dependency or even colonialization. It is by anyone's measure
second best to choosing something for yourself and owning it.

So how does all this fit with working with big corporations like MS or
AMD, for example, if it comes to that?

People who are grounded in community have exactly what MS and AMD and
others sometimes forget they need. Connection. Deep knowledge.
Healthy skepticism. And exact information on local conditions and
desires that are given because community members trust grounded people
they know. (They also are almost always hospitable to all outsiders by
deep and honorable tradition, but that relationship is something
entirely different and should not be confused with trust.)

But why should people grounded in community work with folks like MS and
AMD?

First, there is always the option - and one that is likely - they don't
want to and they won't.

However, Jhai Foundation might choose to adopt the Geode chip or use a
similar Intel chip, for example, and still remain an open source, open
design project. We may choose, as we are choosing, to work with Cisco
and cooperate with them and receive some of their knowledge, on an open
source, open design basis, as we decide whether or not to include some
of their devices in the system's re-design. There are infinite ways of
cooperation.

But who drives? The driver in our model becomes the people closest to
the ground. The rest of us are facilitators at best and hopefully
increasingly irrelevant. The point is to meet real needs. The people
who express those needs and redefines those needs, the end users, drive.
 That's what we shoot for and for seven years have mostly achieved at
Jhai Foundation.

And I think farmers in small communities can drive in projects that show
the most radical kind of respect. This, we call in our case, the
reconciliation model of development. We get to know people by working
with them first on quick easy wins of their choosing. We teach farmers
fundraising right away and help them get success. We then, after
becoming something like friends (a sure sign is having a fight and
getting through it), help them develop a 10 year vision. We immediately
facilitate six month work plans with them where they set their own
priorities and we work together to find solutions. There's more to this
and I'll get to it in other places. What is important here is that it
is exactly this method by which we developed the Jhai PC and
communication system. And it is this method we will teach - or better
we will modify ... with the help of grounded people in different parts
of the world - to make the Jhai PC and communication system work in
varying milieus among various communities for huge numbers of purposes.

Using this method the farmers in Phon Kham, Vientiane Province, Lao PDR,
developed their own business planning and operations tools. We helped
them by getting them with local businesspeople who knew the costs they
did not know. We helped them further by getting some Stanford students
to help them refine their tools. But the farmers had the final say and
we expect the tool will be modified by each community of end users.

So what I am suggesting may seem to many like a whole set of
interlocking paradoxes. That's good.

The relationship between 'corporate' and 'community' has no single shape
and there is no need for a struggle between these two entities ...
although there may be many struggles and that can be useful, too.

The age of cookie cutters is over, but tools can be developed that serve
lots of communities, if those communities have the chance to modify them
for their own use.

Experts have expertise and that's good (Al Hammond told me I'm an
expert!), but they have not as much relevant expertise as nearly any end
user.

A key aspect of any development is building up the community. Even
experts can be part of communities as these communities develop their
own solutions. ;)

Feeling part of a community and having fun is more important than more
money for most of us and more motivating than greed.

Vincent Rauzino proposed in 1982 that "the goal of a truly right-brain
augmentation computer would be to harness the complex set-associating,
pattern-synthesizing, gestalt-processing right-brain machinery into
coherent and predictable equations." ... Rauzino stated that the
qualities of association, inference, and extrapolation, often
indentified as higher-order intellectual traits than computation and
correlation - the province of computers - are as yet largely out of the
range of today's computers. (from "Conversations with an Intelligent
Chaos,", 1982)

What I propose are not new computers, but many radical 'marriages' -
between people of wild imagination and the kings and queens of the most
anti-social Nerds, between corporations and radical communitarians, ...
among peoples, across cultures, without expectations of ease or comfort,
.. but with expectations of quite a bit of fun ... and the chance of a
life lived in all its God-given fullness.

Why settle?

yours, in Peace,

Lee Thorn