Dear GKD List Members,

By "business approach"  do we mean an approach that relies on market
mechanisms?  Have we failed to see that the poor represent an important
market?

For example, it's generally accepted that the private sector will only
go so far in deploying IT infrastructure because some areas are simply
not profitable (hard to reach areas, areas where the people's purchasing
power is minimal).  To address this problem various solutions have been
developed, in particular involving government policies that provide
incentives for the private sector to go where it would otherwise not go.

Should we revisit this consensus and ask ourselves how the private
sector decides to invest or not invest in a particular area?  Are those
decisions based on false assumptions regarding the purchasing power of
the poor?  Or are we talking about small, local entrepreneurs taking
advantage of their knowledge of local markets?

A couple of related resources of interest:

Can ICTs help the urban poor access information and knowledge to support
their livelihoods?
http://www.unhabitat.org/programmes/ifup/conf/Theo-Schilderman.PDF

Making Knowledge Networks work for the poor
http://www.itdg.org/html/icts/knowledge.htm

Barbara Fillip, Ph.D.
Information and Dissemination Coordinator
DOT-COM Alliance
http://www.dot-com-alliance.org
(202) 884-8003