On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 1:42 AM, Diane <depfah...@gmail.com> wrote:

If I'm following you correctly, Andy, the Ctrl+A "trick" places your reply *
> below* the original message whereas using the regular Reply option puts
> your text *above* the trimmed content, which can be opened to reveal the

In case you were really confused, first you need to click Reply.  Ctrl-A
(or Ctrl-Shift-A) doesn't replace that; it comes later.

Where your reply text goes depends on where the cursor is when you start
typing.  If you don't "open up" the previous message text (represented by
the ellipses = 3 dots), then what you type will appear above the previous
message text, represented by the ellipses.

To have "trimmed content", first you must open up the previous text, either
by clicking on the ellipses, or by using Ctrl-A or Ctrl-Shift-A.  Once that
is done, the editor is (more or less) WYSIWYG.  Move the cursor where you
want it, trim, and type.  (And be aware that highlighted text means it will
be replaced by anything you type.  That is just normal Windows behavior.)

Andy