Just finished building one, actually a few of them.

Started with a base of the IBM xSeries (360).  Got it loaded with
their RAID controllers, and also got the expansion chassis for
the drives.  The cost wasn't that high, but we get educational
pricing from IBM.  We also buy a LOT of stuff from them.

Each expansion chassis holds 14 drives, arranged in two blocks of 7.
Each block is its own (hardware) RAID 5 controller.

The last unit I built has two expansion chassis filled with 73GB drives.
The 140GB should be available sometime in the next few months.

Go install distro of choice (we use Debian for servers), then
install LVM (Linux Volume Manager - http://www.sistina.com/products_lvm.htm).
LVM lets you create and resize partitions which can span physical
disks or RAID slices.

I've been doing a lot of work with Veritas under Solaris, which does
pretty much the same thing.  The biggest difference between
the two is that Veritas (and VxFS) can resize the filesystem on
the fly, while LVM and the ext2 resize tool requires the filesystem
be offline.  Not that big a problem as it's a lot easier than
repartitioning/reformatting.

So far, we've got a 1.6TB system, and another one that's 4.5TB and can
be expanded to about 9TB (this is all available space after you lose
your RAID5/ext3 data).

Once that's set up, you can configure NFS and Samba to share
the partitions wherever you want.

-Mark